A while ago, I commented on setting targets with each novel to ensure that I did the work. Many will disagree or will find targets a restriction of creativity and flow. I’m all for creativity and flow but if it wasn’t targets, I’d be guilty of complacency.
At the beginning of 2012 I set out to write 4 novels.
To date, I have 3.
- a) One out to submission
- b) One to be redrafted slightly to alter the antagonist’s inner gripe
- c) One being redrafted as I type
And the 4th? Never happened.
Not my fault . . . Life and things got in the way, and the targets I set were harsh.
Taking into account how this year has gone, I’m setting a new target of 3 novels per year with 16 weeks attributed to each 60k+ novel. I’m not the fastest writer, but do aim for 1.5k a day. Add onto that redrafting time, editing time and taking in comments from BETAs, 16 weeks seems reasonable to me.
Of course – things will happen that can hinder progress of the 16 week timescale, and that’s where I have to take responsibility to shift around other things and still achieve milestones. If I don’t aim to a target – I’ll never get there.
Set yourself reasonable goals and work to them.
- Novel 1 took me 4 years – (I wasn’t planning)
- Novels 2-4 happened in 1 year.
Get to it!