Planning Ahead for E-publishing
With e-publishing, you need to plan.
When I say planning, I’m not referring to the ‘must-haves’ such as writing the damn thing first, redrafting and editing, etc… not to forget the cover design and other formatting incomprehensible methods that I’ll surely collide with . . . no – no – no – what I’m referring to is the staging of release. Once you have a novel out there – a lot of time will be swallowed by promotion. And that’s where the after-effect issue can occur.
The after-effect issue =
- Your novel is deemed doesn’t please all, but you’re miles away from releasing another, thus losing the opportunity to still turn those that have walloped 1 star reviews on zillions of sites.
- Your novel is deemed great, but you’re miles away from releasing another, thus possible losing the fan base and tiny speck of the market that adored you.
Bad news me thinks . . .
I know that in 2013, I can rattle out 3 novels (as long as I don’t deviate too far off my targets), however that target will have to reduce to 2 per year to ensure that put enough time into promoting when they’re out there.*
* Note: I am not releasing anything for definite yet, but if I do . . . well . . . you get my drift.
During 2013, I could release a novel every 3 months, thus 4 per year, or release the next once I know the market is begging for another. (In my dreams). I’m going to play safe with keeping to 1 novel per 3 months unless the market calls for it, and I’m going to mix things up a bit.
Currently, I have 4 novels:
- Novel 1 – Shelved until it is reworked to prevent tears that some readers admitted to spilling.
- Novel 2 – Polished me thinks.
- Novel 3 – Needs some redrafting.
- Novel 4 – To be polished
Okay, here’s the complicated part:
- N1 is a stand-alone novel.
- N2 is Part 1 of a Trilogy
- N3 is Part 1 of a Trilogy
- N4 is Part 1 of a 5 Book Series
Now then . . . If I e-publish, I will release in the following order:
- Part 1 of the N2 Trilogy
- Part 2 of the N2 Trilogy
- Part 1 of the N4 Series
- Part 3 of the N2 Trilogy
- Part 2 of the N4 Series
- Part 1 of the N3 Trilogy
- Part 3 of the N4 Series
- Part 2 of the N3 Trilogy
Etc . . .
Some like to release each part of their trilogy/series in succession before they send out another series. I however want to mix things up a bit, and show the variation in novels/topics/character representation.
If 2013 is the year of e-publishing for me, then you’ll see items 1 to 4 out there . . .
If you disagree let me know, if you have an alternate plan, or know of another model, please do comment.